June 24, 2010

My New Favourite Thing: Powdered Food Colouring


While trying to find a way to add some interest to a coconut cupcake, I came across this wonderful product: food colouring powder. For those who do a lot of baking this is probably not a new thing to you. I am using the Candy-n-Cake brand and it cost about $2 for 3 grams (you don't use a lot). I have used a similar product before, but it was flavoured too and I didn't really want to add apple flavour to a coconut cupcake. The great thing about this product is that it has no flavour at all. Sometimes when using the gel colourings you get a bitter taste (especially with the red). I have yet to try it with icing, but will be sure to post an update when I do.

To colour coconut, put coconut into a Ziploc bag and add a bit of the powdered food colouring (remember: A little goes a long way!). Shake it up and add more colouring if needed. This would look great to add the look of fur or grass to cakes and cupcakes. Imagine the possibilities!

No comments:

Post a Comment